The Rock @ 2 Oceans
Fish Hoek Accommodation -
Fish Hoek & Surrounding Areas
History of Fish Hoek
The Cape Peninsula was once two islands separated
by the sea passage of the Fish Hoek (Silvermine) Valley. During
the Ice Age the waters receded and were, over the millennia,
replaced by shifting sand dunes blown in by the south-easterly
Skildersgat Ridge was the dwelling place of prehistoric people,
dating back at least 30,000 years. Here you can find Peers Cave
in which the 12,000 year-old remains of Fish Hoek Man were discovered
by amateur palaeontologists (Victor and Bertie Peers, in 1926).
In 1818 land was granted to Andreas Bruin. It
was sold several times before being bought by Hester Sophia de
Kock in 1883. Hester
married Jacob Isaac de Villier in 1901, and after their deaths
the land was sold off in plots, the first sale taking place in
1918. This marked the beginning of the town of Fish Hoek. Hester
and Issac de Villiers, are buried in the small graveyard next
to the NG Kerk (Dutch Reformed Church) in Kommetjie.
The initial grant of 1818 stated that there should be no public
winehouse. The residents of Fish Hoek were determined to keep
bottle stores out of the town. In 1956, after having opposed
many license applications they formed an association called The
Defenders of Fish Hoek. They succeeded in getting the Liquor
Act amended so that no further applications would be allowed.
Under our new Constitution the Act fell away and after consultation
with the local Magistrate residents voted for restaurant and
bar licenses only.